If you are a marketer of any description you will know that traffic is the lifeblood of any business.
Simply put: No traffic, no business!
A lot of marketers get so caught up in tracking their traffic stats that they forget to make the most of that traffic. Tell you what, traffic is worthless if your visitors aren’t buying what you’re selling, joining your list, or taking some other important action.
So how do you make the most of your traffic and monetize it?
First off, make sure you are indeed bringing targeted traffic to your site. You don’t want just anybody visiting your website or hitting your sales/squeeze pages. Do this and you’ll wonder why you’re getting a lot of visitors but no sign-ups or sales!
So, whatever methods you are using to drive traffic to your website, make sure you have your targeting dialled in and you know your ideal customer is to make the most out of your website traffic.
And secondly, use this little “traffic checklist” to monetize that traffic…
Determine Your Primary Goal
The first thing you need to do is figure out the primary goal for EACH page of your website. Depending on the page, this primary goal (and monetization strategy) might involve getting your visitor to:
- Make a purchase
- Take advantage of an upsell offer
- Join your list.
- Call you.
- Fill out a form.
- Share content/tell their friends.
- Enter a contest.
- Click on a link.
- Clicking on ads, including affiliate offers and AdSense ads.
- Complete a CPA (cost per acquisition) offer, such as filling out a credit card application.
- Read or watch content.
- Visit you offline (if you run a brick and mortar store).
- Ask for a free consultation.
- Register for an event, such as a webinar or contest.
Here are two best practices when it comes to monetizing traffic:
- Be sure to pick just ONE primary goal for each web page (and, overall, one primary goal for your website as a whole). Because if you create a page with multiple goals, your prospect may get confused and not take any action at all.
- Focus on your own products first. There are plenty of ways to monetize traffic as mentioned above, including putting offers from third parties in front of your visitors. Be sure to focus on promoting your OWN offers first, as this will always be more profitable (because you get both the profits and the list).
Design Your Site Around Your Primary Goal
Now you need to design each page of your website around your primary goal.
- If you’re designing a lead page with the goal of growing your list, then remove all other content and extraneous links, so that the page is focused on getting people to join your list.
- If your goal is directly sell a product, then create a high-response sales letter and plug up sales leaks such as external links.
- If your goal is to get people to click on AdSense ads, then create highly engaging content and embed those ads within the content.
Create An Exit Traffic System
Despite your best efforts, people are going to hit the back button on your site and bail out without joining your list, without buying a product, and without clicking on any ads.
That doesn’t mean that they’re poor-quality visitors who’ll never buy anything from you. Instead, it could mean they just didn’t see the right offer, or they’re in a hurry, or you didn’t sufficiently persuade them to take action.
For example, redirect your exit traffic to a highly enticing lead magnet so that you can get people on your list before they leave your site. For best results, create multiple lead magnets so that you can offer the lead magnet that is directly related to the page the visitor was viewing before they tried to leave the site.
For instance, if your visitor was reading a blog article about how to set up a Facebook ad campaign, then offer them a lead magnet (such as a report) that gives in-depth instruction and “done for you” ad templates.
TIP: Don’t know how to redirect exit traffic to another page or create an exit pop? No problem. You can search for “exit traffic scripts” in your favorite search engine, or you can use a service such as Thrive Leads or Conversion Gorilla.
Many folks will say that they don’t like exit pops or redirects, especially marketers, but the simple fact is, they work but use them sparingly.
Test And Tweak Everything
One of the best ways to monetize your traffic is to test and track all parts of the process to find out what really works.
- Test offers to see which ones appeal the most to your visitors.
- Test ad and link placements, including in the header, footer, sidebar, and directly embedded in content.
- Test your headlines, benefits and calls to action to see which improve conversions.
- Test your upsells to increase your per-transaction value.
- Test the design of your pages to improve overall response.
Let’s wrap things up…
So there you have it – a quick and effective checklist for making the most money with your traffic.
- Pick one primary monetization goal.
- Design your web pages around this primary goal.
- Test and track everything to optimize response.
As you can see, this “traffic checklist” is pretty simple, but very effective! So put this plan to work for you today to start making more money from all your traffic.